Head Lice Prevention Tips
According to the Centers for Disease Control, it is estimated that between 6 million – 12 million cases of head lice are diagnosed each year in the United States, with most cases occurring in preschool and elementary school-aged children. Snip-its stylists are trained to check for lice eggs during the parent/child consultation before any hair cutting begins.
Here are a few simple tips that you can do to help prevent lice breakouts.
- Educate your children about not sharing combs, hats, scarves, helmets, hair accessories or any other object that might touch someone else’s head. Lice crawl; they do not jump. They spread by head-to-head or head-to-object-to-head contact.
- Try to refrain from washing your child’s hair every day. Lice like clean hair because it’s easier to attach to. Instead, wash your child’s hair every other day or even every two days with Snip-its Shampoo & Body Wash.
- Use a preventative, natural, leave-in lice repellant, sprays or gels, every day before school. (Read about Fairy Tales hair care products below)
Check for Breakouts
Check for breakouts by looking behind the ears and nape area first, as these are the areas in which lice tend to lay eggs. Lice eggs are white and stick to the strands of hair; they do not flake off easily. They are also easier to see in natural light, so check for them in front of a large window or outside, if possible. Here’s what you can do if eggs are detected:
- Comb through small sections of the hair with a lice-removal comb until all eggs are removed.
- Use a natural product to kill any eggs that may have gone unnoticed.
- Sanitize everything your child has come in contact with: wash sheets, towels, car seat covers, and clothing in hot water; replace combs/brushes, or soak them in rubbing alcohol for up to 1 hour; place stuffed animals in a hot dryer for 30 minutes, or in a tightly sealed plastic bag for two weeks.
- Do not bring your child to a salon for removal. Most states will not allow salons to cut/style hair until all eggs are removed.
Visit our Facebook page for more tips & tricks on preventing and treating head lice. facebook.com/SnipitsHaircutsforKids
Snip-its Offers Fairy Tales
Snip-its offers the Fairy Tales Hair Care line – an all natural and organic lice prevention and treatment system. Fairy Tales uses herbs and oils, such as rosemary, citronella, tea tree, aloe and Vitamins A, D and E to repel and treat head lice, unlike over-the-counter remedies that contain chemicals and pesticides like lindane, premethrin and malathion. Fairy Tales products that can be found at participating Snip-its salons include:
- Rosemary Repel® Shampoo, containing lice-protecting ingredients such as organic rosemary, citronella, tea tree, anise, lavender and geranium oils.
- Rosemary Repel® Crème Conditioner, containing ingredients such as organic rosemary, citronella, geranium, tea tree, cherry bark and passion flower, along with aloe and vitamin E.
- Rosemary Repel® Leave-In Spray, with a formula containing organic oils of rosemary, citronella, tea tree, lemongrass, peppermint, sage and others to keep lice away.
- Rosemary Repel® Spray and Shield Hair Spray, infused with pure oils of rosemary, citronella, tea tree, cinnamon, rose extracts and geranium oil to give you maximum protection against lice and other insects.
- Rosemary Repel® Gel, containing organic rosemary, citronella, tea tree, anise, cinnamon, mint, sage and geranium oils. It is an alcohol-free lightweight gel to help create cool looks AND keep the bugs away.
- Lice Good-Bye™ Mousse, a non-toxic, pesticide-free mousse using all natural yeast enzymes to dissolve nit (egg) “glue” and break down the skeletal system of a louse and nit.
- Terminator Metal Lice Comb
Click Here to download a complete list of Snip-its salons that carry Fairy Tales Hair Care. Pricing may vary from location to location. To learn more about Fairy Tales Hair Care, visit www.FairyTalesHairCare.com.