Head Lice Prevention Tips
According to the Centers for Disease Control, it is estimated that between 6 million – 12 million cases of head lice are diagnosed each year in the United States, with most cases occurring in preschool and elementary school-aged children. Snip-its stylists are trained to check for lice eggs during the parent/child consultation before any hair cutting begins.
Here are a few simple tips that you can do to help prevent lice breakouts.
- Educate your children about not sharing combs, hats, scarves, helmets, hair accessories or any other object that might touch someone else’s head. Lice crawl; they do not jump. They spread by head-to-head or head-to-object-to-head contact.
- Try to refrain from washing your child’s hair every day. Lice like clean hair because it’s easier to attach to. Instead, wash your child’s hair every other day or even every two days with Snip-its Shampoo & Body Wash.
- Use a preventative, natural, leave-in lice repellant, sprays or gels, every day before school. (Read about Fairy Tales Hair Care products below)
Check for Breakouts
Check for breakouts by looking behind the ears and nape area first, as these are the areas in which lice tend to lay eggs. Lice eggs are white and stick to the strands of hair; they do not flake off easily. They are also easier to see in natural light, so check for them in front of a large window or outside, if possible. Here’s what you can do if eggs are detected:
- Comb through small sections of the hair with a lice-removal comb until all eggs are removed.
- Use a natural product to kill any eggs that may have gone unnoticed.
- Sanitize everything your child has come in contact with: wash sheets, towels, car seat covers, and clothing in hot water; replace combs/brushes, or soak them in rubbing alcohol for up to 1 hour; place stuffed animals in a hot dryer for 30 minutes, or in a tightly sealed plastic bag for two weeks.
- Do not bring your child to a salon for removal. Most states will not allow salons to cut/style hair until all eggs are removed.
Snip-its Offers Ladibugs
Snip-its offers the Ladibugs Hair Care Line. Ladibugs offers a full line of lice prevention and lice treatment products. Using only natural ingredients free of pesticides and harsh chemicals, their products effectively prevent and treat lice and smell great! Ladibugs products that can be found at participating Snip-its salons include:
- Ladibugs Shampoo, a sulfate free shampoo containing Neem, Tea Tree and Peppermint Oil all to safeguard your scalp from future infestation.
- Ladibugs Conditioner, a sulfate free all natural conditioner containing Spearmint, Karanja, Neem, Tea Tree and Eucalyptus oils that aid in the prevention of lice while also providing excellent detangling properties.
- Ladibugs Mint Spray, with a formula containing natural products, such as peppermint, that lice find offensive.
- Ladibugs Mint Serum, a blend of olive oil, dimethicone and peppermint to aid in the elimination of live louse..
- Ladibugs Mousse, formulated with a natural yeast based enzyme that will dissolve the protein that glues the nits to the shaft as well as break down the protein-based layers of the louse.
- Advanced Lice Comb, this highly sturdy comb has microgrooved teeth and anti-slip bands that allow for better gripping and control while removing even the tiniest nit..
- Lice Prevention Kit, contains 8 oz. Shampoo & Conditioner, and 4 oz. Mint Spray at special price.
- Lice Elimination Kit, contains 4 oz. Mint Serum & Mousse, plus Stainless Steel Comb at special price.
For a complete list of Snip-its salons that carry Ladibugs Hair Care products, visit LadibugsInc.com.
Snip-its also offers the Fairy Tales Hair Care line – an all-natural lice prevention and treatment system. For a complete list of Snip-its salons that carry Fairy Tales products visit FairyTalesHairCare.com.