This week we’re celebrating summer, sunlight and a large dose of family fun-time during those magical endless summer nights. The extra daylight makes summer nights slip slowly by, each one lasting much longer than a winter school night. It’s the perfect time to do a little something extra, keep the kiddos up later and create family memories they’ll never forget.
Movie Night Block Party
How about hosting a movie night in your backyard? Pinterest is full of amazing ideas to make your house the toast of the neighborhood with themed movie nights. It’s as easy as a good movie and time spent together.
- Build Your Own Drive-in—little ones can decorate their own cardboard box car before the movie, add some pillows and blankets and let the movie magic ensue.
- Popcorn Bar—what’s a movie without popcorn? Set up a table with popcorn and all the fixings—sure to be a crowd pleaser!
- Summer S’mores Pack—take a break from the drama and pass out these cute goody bags full of yummy awesome—graham crackers, chocolate squares and marshmallows.
- Comfort Seating—a dry kiddie pool filled with blankets and pillows means your guests can stay though a double or triple backyard feature!
A backyard movie night is as easy as 1-2-3-4:
- Choose the Space – keep outlet access and light sources/glare in mind.
- Build a Screen – so many DIY options on Pinterest. We like a white sheet with a black cloth behind it, simply tied, clipped or hooked tautly to a PVC, wood or metal frame.
- Set up the Technology – You need a projector hooked up to your DVD player, sound and simple computer speakers for the non-fancy route.
- A family fun, entertaining movie!
Check out this step by step from Princess Pinky Girl to help create the perfect movie night!
Outdoor Game Night
Celebrate the first day of summer and the longest day of the year by planning a kid-friendly summer party outside. Over-sized lawn games are some of our favorites. Look to Pinterest for ideas using household items and spray paint for some great DIY gaming fun!
What do you do when the kids tell you their video games and apps are better than those silly outdoor games? Build life-size versions of their favorites! We love this idea from She Knows: Angry Birds – giant and outside. Building the game as a family may be even more fun than playing it.
Pool Noodle Obstacle Course
Your little ninjas will have fun all summer long with an obstacle course built from soft and pliable pool noodles.
- Ring Toss
- Javelin Bulls-eye
- Bean Bag Throw
- Agility Run
- Sprinkler Sprint
- Kid-friendly Croquet
The possibilities are endless. Perfect for a family reunion or neighborhood bracket bragging rights—summertime fun abounds.
Party with the kiddos all summer long and make those endless summer nights kid-friendly and family-fun! Don’t forget with more sunshine you need to protect those kiddie locks and tresses. That’s where the Kids Hair Experts come in! Read our Healthy Summer Hair blog post for great tips and tricks to keep hair shiny and strong all summer long.