Are you trying to think of something fun to do this holiday weekend…or any weekend? How about some family fun-time with family game night! We’ve created a list of popular, family-friendly board and video games from 2017—as well as a few classic favorites and some crafty, DYI games using items around the house. There’s definitely something for everyone on the list. Which will your family choose?
2017 POPULAR FAMILY BOARD GAMES
- Sequence—This card-based board game is easy enough for kids to learn and tricky enough to keep adults entertained. For family game night, play this game in teams with kiddos and adults paired up together. Although the game recommends kids ages seven and up, many Amazon reviews say younger children enjoy it too. Each round takes 10 to 30 minutes—not too long to keep little ones interested for a round or two. Sequence is great family entertainment because it’s easy to learn, works for all ages and endlessly fun.
- Richard Scarry’s Busytown, Eye Found It—This one is perfect for your tiny tots ages 3 and up. Using the six-foot game board, kids will work their way to Picnic Island, searching for hidden objects in an I-Spy style challenge. Designed for collaboration, you can have up to four player in each round.
- HedBanz Game—A fun and interactive guessing came rated for children six and up. We’re confident adults will have a blast as well! Wearing your cards on your head is silly for kiddos and hilarious for adults. You can’t help smiling whilst playing a few rounds of this game. Not only is HedBanz a lot of fun for all ages, it also helps children develop deductive reasoning and critical thinking skills—they’ll never know they’re learning too!
CLASSIC GAMES FULL OF FUN
- Classic Board Games like Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders or Twister—nostalgia plays a big part in the family-fun factor here. Pick out a few of your favorite childhood games and share them with the next generation—let the bonding begin. Most of these classics have been repackaged for the newest generation, but if you still have an original version back in the closet, that’s even better!
- Hide & Seek—Honestly, watching tiny tots try to hide is half the fun when you decided to play hide & seek on family game night. Make up a new “family rule” each round to add to the hilarity!
- Jigsaw Puzzle—There’s nothing like bonding over a giant jigsaw puzzle—family memories are made of this. Try a seasonal theme, or a theme your little one’s are super-excited about. Make puzzle night a monthly tradition along—it’s great when combined with finger food the kiddos love to eat.
2017 POPULAR FAMILY VIDEO GAMES
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe—Race your friends and family in this newest version of Mario. A go-cart-style racing and battle game, rated E for everyone and plays up to 4-players. Mario’s been around for a while, and he’s constantly getting reinvented in the video game realm. Kiddos and adults alike will love this newest version of a video game classic.
- DropMix—This fast-paced music mixing game gives your family a new way to collect, discover and combine favorite tracks. Compete with your family (up to 4 players) and create unexpected song mixes! Keep the music pumping with 3 ways to play: freestyle, clash, and party. A free, downloadable app controls the game.
DIY GAMES WITH HOUSEHOLD ITEMS
- Selfie Hot Potato—Instead of passing a potato, you’re passing around a camera pointed at your face that has a time set. If it “flashes” whilst you are holding it, not only to you get a funny selfie taken, but you also have to do a silly challenge determined by your other family members. If your camera or phone doesn’t have a timer, use a kitchen timer instead.
- Draw a Snowman—You will need white paper plates and markers (pencils and pens just don’t work as well) for this entertaining, kid-friendly, family-fun game. The best snowman wins! We promise lots of laughs with this one. See the full set of directions here.
At Snip-its we say, “It’s Fun in Here!” a lot. We also love to celebrate kids. We’re always looking for fun games and activities for the whole family because family fun-time is the best! There are so many fun options for Family Game Night—we hope you get to try them all.