With summer and the upcoming holiday comes one or our favorite things: The Family Picnic. If you are dreading the complications and routine disturbances that can arise from an outdoor gathering, read on for some amazing tips on the ideal summer family get together and turn your dread into less-stressed anticipation and joy.
What to Bring – kid-friendly nosh on-the-go and family-friendly items to pack.
- Sandwich Flower Bouquets—Use cookie cutters to create mini, flower sandwiches. Fill with assorted fillings like meat and cheese, cucumbers and hummus or Nutella. Pack in a plastic container between wax paper to keep sandwiches from drying out.
- Red, White and Blue Berry Kabobs—Get the cookie cutters out again and skewer fun-shaped pound cake in-between berries for a sweet and healthy dessert that’s also tiny hands-friendly.
- Make sure there’s plenty of water in that picnic basket for you and your little ones.
- Freeze different fruits and add them to fruit juice for a cold and refreshing treat.
- Make sippy cups out of mason jars by making a hole in the metal lid and inserting a paper straw.
- Pack your picnic basket full of plastic take-along containers and thermoses to keep food cool and transportable for ease and safety.
- Choose large, soft quilts or blankets that can be easily tossed into the washing machine.
- Don’t forget sunscreen, trash bags and hand wipes.
The Perfect Spot—choosing a great location
- Choose a park with a bathroom that has soap and water. Kids can wash their hands before eating—especially with nature and playground equipment in play.
- Make sure there’s enough room for your family, without encroaching on others picnicking in the area.
- No time is a bad time to picnic, but think about early mornings with tiny ones before the sun is fully out and the temperature is slightly cooler.
- Location from the car and whether there are picnic tables or not are other things to think about when planning your family fun picnic.
What to Do—games and activities that put the F-U-N in family fun time.
- Keep kids entertained between bites with a few tried and true outdoor-friendly diversions like books, bubbles and paper and pencils, markers or crayons.
- Plan energy-fused activities games like a three-legged race, tug-o-war and Hula-hoops. Don’t forget the jump ropes, Nerf balls and Frisbees to round out your family’s aerobic activity.
- Create these Wonder Wands as a family and watch your little rascals play for hours.
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt, then use leaves, pine cones or twigs to play a fame of tic-tac-toe on your picnic blanket.
The best thing about a summer picnic is being outside with the family. Enjoy it! Let your kiddos run around and be crazy and join them at it. The spontaneous memories you make are worth it.